Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Road Trip to a Red Rose City and the Sea

We will be on the road for three days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) to see Petra, Wadi Rum and Aqaba. I will start with new posts on Sunday.

A thought for the road. In checking my e-mail Thursday morning, I received a poem from my Mom. She thought that Mahmoud Darwish's Mural echoed my thoughts about his poetry from the Darwish, Ajloun, Gazelles post a few days ago. Modern technology allows us to send poetry and images around the world in seconds--to make the entire world a smaller and more human place.

Mahmoud Darwish's Mural

One day I shall become what I want.

One day I shall become a thought,
taken to the wasteland
neither by the sword or the book
as if it were rain falling on a mountain
split by a burgeoning blade of grass,
where neither might will triumph,
nor justice the fugitive.

One day I shall become what I want.

One day I shall become a bird,
and wrest my being from my non-being.
The longer my wings will burn,
the closer I am to the truth, risen from the ashes.
I am the dialogue of dreamers; I’ve shunned my body and self
to finish my first journey towards meaning,
which burnt me, and disappeared.
I’m absence. I’m the heavenly renegade.