Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Last Full Day in Jordan


Our final presentation before an audience of Queen Rania Award winners....and then our final feast with the director of the Queen Rania Center.
Then farewell to our Jordanian colleagues....we took Mustafa and Abeer to the bus station for a final goodbye to a friend and colleague of seven weeks...
We returned in time for a sunset over and through the western olive trees at The King's Academy.
After letting Leon, Buttercup and George Washingtoe play in the olive grove beneath the setting sun, I looked up to see what I believe was a falcon with graceful wing strokes flying towards the north. It is a fitting and perhaps symbolic conclusion to three weeks in Jordan to see a falcon on the last night with the setting of the sun and over the King's Academy. The peregrine falcon is a symbol of the Jordanian monarchy, the setting sun represents a conclusion, and I will be going back north soon...to home, family and students I must fly...

My last time to coat my face and hands with sun block this year...I am happy to be free from the intensity of the sun that cost me a little discomfort in terms of a burned ear, toasted nose, and pained eye brows...