Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17, 2008

At this moment, Andrea is experiencing Verdi's Aida, her first opera. Here I am in the land of Egypt's traditional sphere of influence while Connie and Andrea are watching a tragic story of love and war set in ancient Egypt. Today, Anton will hopefully fulfill two of his great desires in a single day--mini-golfing and paddle-boating. I am ten hours ahead of them in time. I have already experienced my August 17th while they are just in the early afternoon of their August 17. We are connected even though we are separated by time and a great distance. I am connected with all of my family.
Before I left for Jordan I asked Andrea and Anton what they wanted me to bring back to them. Andrea asked me to bring her back interesting rocks from Jordan. Anton asked me to take funny photos of Leon, George Washingtoe and Buttercup.
I have taken photos with Leon, George Washingtoe and Buttercup. I am also bringing home about twenty pounds of Jordan with me. Some of the rocks and salt formations weigh from three to five pounds. Although heavy, I hope to bring home some of the natural magic and majesty of Jordan to her and Anton, and others. If my brother, their Uncle Shaun, were here with me then he would pick up the most interesting, fascinating rocks and salt formations regardless of size or bulk. I can imagine he would even bring home a twenty pound rock if he thought his niece or nephew would find amusement in it. Why question the difficulties for those we love?When we were teenagers Shaun picked up a five to seven pound lava rock from Mt. Rainier, and then carried the rock in his backpack until we reached the end of our hike. Anton asked in an e-mail if I could jump over the moon. I can't jump over the moon. I can do my best to share my thoughts and energy with those I love even when separated by great distances.