Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Desert Fox and Boxing My Own Ears

Under a full moon and before the rise of the sun, I set out to photograph a sand fox. Debbie and Richard had seen a pair of sand foxes and a red fox last week while taking their early morning constitutional--their morning walk. The sand fox loped like a dog, but was as smooth as a cat. It saw me before I saw it. The fox kept a football field's length between the two of us, but every now and then it stopped and sat down to watch me from a distance.Water. Water probably is what has brought the endangered sand foxes and the red fox on to campus early in the morning before the sunrise. Water has also brought mosquitoes into my room at night to disturb my sleep. Water to make the King's Academy look like Massachusetts' Deerfield Academy has also given mosquitoes a place to breed.
For the last two nights I have been startled awake to the buzzing sound of a mosquito in my ear. My sleepy response is to try and kill the mosquito by boxing my own ears. So I am hitting myself awake two and three times a night. After our first week at King's Academy our patio doors were taken off to replace them with doors that have screens. It took almost a week to get our doors back, and once installed my door didn't and doesn't properly latch. Either mosquitoes are coming in through the small remaining crack or they made a home of my room while my door was gone. The extravagant use of water to create a New England feel to The King's Academy has brought endangered foxes and dangerous mosquitoes to Jordan.
I really do try to kill the mosquitoes by flailing out in the night, and I have become a danger to myself. Foxes and mosquitoes...I think it is worth it, at least for a three week visitor to this small oasis in the midst of a dry Jordanian August.